Both Pitbulls and Bulldogs have gained a bad reputation through the years from those people who lack understanding and awareness regarding the breeds. The Pitbull American Bulldog mix appearance and news about aggression that resulted in unfavorable circumstances are the main reasons why people are afraid of them.
In reality, though, both breeds of dogs are intelligent, highly trainable, and loyal. They need to take the right kind of owner with the proper knowledge of raising and training such energetic breeds of dogs for the right relationship and behavior to emerge. However, they are known to be very domineering, which is why having it is not recommended to have them around young children, elderly, and other pets.
So what happens when we breed the two dogs together? The result will be a “Bullypit.” It is the term for a Pitbull and American Bulldog mix. Let us take a look at the mix breed’s appearance, temperament, health, and other traits to get a better understanding of the breed.
Pitbull American Bulldog Mix Key Characteristics
[one_half_first][thrive_progress_bar count=”6″ label0=”Adaptability” percentage0=”40″ color0=”purple” label1=”Affection Level” percentage1=”80″ color1=”purple” label2=”Apartment Friendly” percentage2=”60″ color2=”purple” label3=”Barking Tendencies” percentage3=”80″ color3=”purple” label4=”Cat Friendly” percentage4=”40″ color4=”purple” label5=”Child Friendly” percentage5=”20″ color5=”purple”][/one_half_first][one_half_last][thrive_progress_bar count=”6″ label0=”Dog Friendly” percentage0=”60″ color0=”purple” label1=”Exercise Need” percentage1=”100″ color1=”purple” label2=”Grooming Needs” percentage2=”20″ color2=”purple” label3=”Health Issues” percentage3=”60″ color3=”purple” label4=”Intelligence” percentage4=”80″ color4=”purple” label5=”Playfulness” percentage5=”80″ color5=”purple”][/one_half_last]
[thrive_toggles_group”][thrive_toggles title=”Pitbull American Bulldog Mix Images” no=”1/1″]
American Bulldog Pitbull Mix Highlights
- A Bullypit is a cross between a Pitbull and American Bulldog. These two pure breeds came from a long line of Terriers and Bulldogs.
- The rise and popularity of this crossbreed started during the 90s. This time is also the start of some controversies regarding the breed. Different organizations were concerned about the aggression of the breed and how it was crowding animal shelters.
- This breed is known to be highly trainable. They are intelligent and able to follow commands when trained at a young age. They respond well to positive reinforcements and can grow to be loving, gentle, and loyal pets.
- The Pitbull parent is known to be prone to aggression and other behavioral problems. This is the reason why people are wary of them. It is okay to be careful before getting one, but you also have to educate yourself regarding proper training.
- There are a lot of factors that can affect the temperament. When you can train themt correctly, you can expect a loving, gentle, playful, energetic, and loyal companion.
- You have to feed them with the best dog food according to age and stage of life. This breed requires a nutrient-dense diet for their optimal health and development. Protein, calories, and other essential vitamins can help boost your dog’s energy, keep the coat shiny, helps build lean muscle, and ensures that your adorable dog is in top condition.
- This breed is very energetic. They need regular physical and mental stimulation to keep them from getting bored. Regular exercise also keeps them healthy. Pent-up energy can trigger chewing, aggression, and other behavioral problems.
- They are predisposed to genetic health problems such as hip and elbow dysplasia, bacterial infections, skin allergies, obesity, eye problems, Albinism, respiratory diseases, and heat intolerance.
- They also need vaccination and booster shots and checkups when necessary. Spaying or neutering is a matter of preference.
- Maintaining this breed is not that hard. They do not need regular grooming although their ears, eyes, and teeth should always be checked for infections. You can use a soft bristle brush once or twice a week to keep their coat shiny. Bath them only when necessary. And when you do, you can also clip their nails, clean their ears, and brush their teeth.
- Like most large breed dogs, they can give birth to a litter of 5 to 10 puppies. These puppies can vary in color and markings. So if you are looking to get one, you can wait until the puppies are at least six weeks old before you take your pick especially if you have a preferred color in mind.
- Pitbull American Bulldog mix puppies are receptive to training and open to new learning. This is the most advantageous time to start all kinds of training such as obedience training, agility training, socialization skills, and grooming routine.
- Their price begins at around $500. If you are planning to get one, make sure you only buy from a reputable breeder. Check the parents’ medical records for the risks of health problems that can be passed on to your new puppy. This can help you save more money in the long run.
- They can live up to 15 years. Nutrition, proper care, health conditions, and overall lifestyle play a significant role in making your dog live its life to the fullest.
- Organizations that recognize the breed include American Canine Hybrid Club (ACHC), Backwoods Bulldog Club (BBC), Designer Dogs Kennel Club (DDKC), Dog Registry of America, Inc. (DRA), International Designer Canine Registry (IDCR)
Pitbull American Bulldog Mix Appearance
Since both parents almost look alike, they look like their parents, and it is hard to tell that they are a crossbreed. The coat and markings of each puppy in a litter may vary, but they are usually short and glossy.
Some have solid colors while others have mixed colorings. It is also common for this breed to have dogs with tricolored markings and albinos.
The common colors include:
They vary in sizes due to both parents’ lineage and the mix of average proportions. A male usually measures around 17 to 20 inches while females stand approximately 16 to 19 inches in height. They have a stocky and muscular build. Their ears are pointy, and they sport the large signature grin. They have this huge head and snout where you can almost always see drool coming out.
Their appearance and bearing combined with their loud bark often scare people off. For breeders, body proportion is also a factor to judge rather than the height and size. A Pitbull American Bulldog mix can weigh from about 70 to 120 pounds for males and only around 90 pounds for females.
American Bulldog Pitbull History
The parent breeds have a long history. Both have a long line of Bulldog and Terrier bloodlines. Bullypits were first known in the early 90s. Since then it was recognized by the Amercian Bully Kennel Club. However, controversies surrounded the breeding process as more and more Bullypits and similar dogs belonging in the same lineage started to crowd animal shelters in the 90s.
Bully lovers and professional dog trainers proved that they could be gentle and obedient when appropriately trained. Due to its increasing popularity, the United Kennel Club (UKC) formally recognized the breed.
American Bulldog and Pitbull Mix Trainability
They are quite easy to train if you start them young. You will need to foster a positive relationship, set boundaries, and start socializing them with other dogs and people in a friendly manner. They are energetic and very active. Training should begin with basic obedience or rules of behavior.
Establish discipline the moment you take your dog home or when puppies are weaned off, and you can start training. So around eight weeks old, you can establish the behaviors and habits that you want your dog to learn. Use a reward system or positive reinforcement every time your dog can follow basic training commands.
You should also gradually train your puppy to have a positive and calm interaction with people and other pets by walking your dog in the park with a leash. Daily activity should be a combination of play, exercise, and socialization. Use a dog collar and a leash if you are taking your dog out for walks and training.
If you are socializing your dog, watch how your dog interacts with people and other pets, so you know how to train your dog moving forward.
Here is a video about basic obedience training:
[responsive_video type=’youtube’ hide_related=’1′ hide_logo=’0′ hide_controls=’0′ hide_title=’0′ hide_fullscreen=’0′ autoplay=’0′]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKbWFBIEa9U[/responsive_video]
Pitbull American Bulldog Mix Temperament
With all the hype surrounding the behavior and temperament of both the parents, their disposition are quite tricky to predict. All breeders would agree that if you can raise them correctly from the beginning, they are docile, energetic, and curious. Sometimes they can be pushy and too playful or strangely aloof.
However, if you adopt an adult from a shelter, it is not uncommon to get one that is an aggressive and unpredictable dog, After all, breeders also used them for dogfightíng. These dogs can be hard to train and may not be suitable inside the house with children, elderly, weak people, and other pets due to their unpredictable behavior.
Both training and history play a significant part in assessing if your dog is safe to be around other people. With all the news of Pitbulls attacking people (especially children) it is okay to be wary about including a Pitbull’s offspring in the household.
Overall lifestyle affects their temperament. For instance, if you do not have the time to take your dogs out for a daily walk and you live in a small apartment where there is not enough space for dogs to run around and play, chances are, all the pent-up energy can result in aggressiveness.
Keep in mind that raising a dog such as a Pitbull American Bulldog mix is a considerable responsibility. You have to be firm, consistent, and establish yourself as an alpha from the moment you start obedience training. A small thing like walking beside you without pulling on the lead is a great way to start.
All dogs need proper nutrition to meet their health requirements and for optimal growth and development. You have to feed them only the best dog food that corresponds to their age, health condition, or stage of life.
Choose one that is rich in protein, calories, and other essential vitamins. Nutrient-dense food helps build muscle growth, boost energy, and keep your dog in top health condition. Since they are prone to some health issues, it is best that you seek the advice of your veterinarian for the best dog food to feed your dog and other instructions.
Health and Care
Like other crossbreeds, offspring can inherit both of the parents’ health issues. No one can ever predict what health conditions your dogs might have in the future, but here are some of the most common health issues of the parents so you will have an idea of the possible health problems you might encounter in the future.
- Hip Dysplasia
- Elbow Dysplasia
- Bladder Stones
- Skin infections
- Thyroid Diseases
- Eye Infections
- Nerve Disease
- Cerebella Ataxia
For American Bulldogs
- Hip Dysplasia
- Eyelid Disorders
- Skin problems such as allergies, mange, and bacterial infections
- Respiratory issues
- Inherited Deafness
As a pet parent, you must explore these specific health concerns and discuss with your vet the best ways to avoid the risks, the signs to watch out for, and the best possible approach to the condition if your dog already has a disease.
These are just some of the health conditions of the parents that can be inherited. Since the breed has only been around for around 30 years, there is still a lot to learn about the breed and its possible health problems. Some of the most common conditions that are already known are the following:
- Hip and Elbow Dysplasia
- Respiratory Ailments
- Skeletal Conditions
- Bacterial Infections
- Eye Problems
- Heat Intolerance
- Some of the most common symptoms to watch out for are the following:
- Sluggishness or lethargy even when you try to do some activities with your dog
- Dry or patchy skin.
- Dull coat and hair loss
- Excessive weight gain
- Shaking, chewing, excessive licking, pawing, face rubbing, and rubbing ears against walls or floors
- Pain when urinating
- Bloody stool and urine
- Dilated pupils during the day and eye shine at night
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Stiffness or weakness of legs
- Clumsiness such as bumping onto pieces of furniture
- Extreme panting due to heat
Other Pitbull American Bulldog Mix Care Tips
Vaccinations and Booster Shots
Like all dogs, this breed need vaccination and booster shots starting from a young age. This practice ensures that they do not catch deadly viruses such as parvovirus, canine distemper, kennel cough, and other communicable diseases. It is best that you take your puppies to the vet and talk about vaccination schedules and the different ways you can help your dog prevent any disease.
Spaying or neutering
There have been studies that prove spaying and neutering are healthy for dogs. As an owner, the decision is entirely up to you. Most of the time, it is a matter of preference especially if you have other dogs in the house and you do not want added responsibilities.
They are energetic. They need regular physical and mental stimulation to keep them on top condition. This is also to avoid chewing, aggression, or any untoward incidents that could result from boredom and all that pent-up energy.
To stay active, you should allow at least an hour every day for some moderate exercise. Take your dog for a walk around the park with a leash if your dog is still untrained. Play fetch or tug of war for agility training. Socialize your dog with other dogs as well but always keep an eye on how your dog interacts with other pets and people.
If their activity requirements are met, combined with proper care, you will have a dog that is gentle, loving, loyal, and one that will protect you when necessary.
American Bulldog Cross Pitbull Life Expectancy
With proper nutrition, care, and absence of any health issues, they can live up to 15 years.
They do not need too much maintenance like other breeds due to their short coat. One swift brushing once or twice a week or after every bath is enough to evenly distribute Bullypits natural body oil and make the skin shiny.
You can bath your dog only when necessary. They do not shed and bathing them with shampoo can dry up their skin. When you have to, use a gentle dog shampoo and groom your dog from head to paws. Check for any wax build up in the ear or if there are ear mites, brush the teeth, check the eyes, and cut their nails. Make sure that you only use products that are made specifically for dogs.
American Bulldog Pitbull Puppies
Bullypiits are large dogs. They can give birth to a littler of 5 to 10 puppies. The mother should nurse these puppies until 6 to 8 weeks of age. The transition to solid food should be done slowly and make sure you only feed your puppy a nutrient-dense dog food that meets their nutritional needs.
Grooming, socialization, and all kinds of training should also start during the puppy stage. Remember only to use positive reinforcement during training. Do not hit your puppy. Use of violence when training can also trigger aggression.
The puppy stage is when dogs are most receptive to training, curious about things, and more open to learning new commands. If you instill a routine, be firm, and consistent, you will have an obedient puppy. Be generous with praises and treats especially when they can follow commands and do things that pleased you.
For those who are planning to get a Pitbull American Bulldog mix puppy, you should wait until they are weaned off before taking them home. Check the parents’ medical history to know what possible diseases your puppy inherited. If the parents are both healths and the breeder’s environment is clean and well-tended, it means that they are also able to take proper care of the puppies.
Pitbull American Bulldog Mix Price
Unlike purebred parents that cost around $2000 to $5000, the price usually starts from $500. If you are planning to buy one, make sure you only get from reputable breeders and check for the puppy’s lineage.
Consider the care, feeding requirements, and vet bills before buying one. Make sure you have a place to accommodate the puppy and the proper knowledge in raising this breed before buying one.
These are the organizations that recognizethe Pitbull American Bulldog mix breed.
- American Canine Hybrid Club (ACHC)
- Backwoods Bulldog Club (BBC)
- Designer Dogs Kennel Club (DDKC)
- Dog Registry of America, Inc. (DRA)
- International Designer Canine Registry (IDCR)
They are an excellent breed especially if you are also a Bulldog and Pitbull lover. You do not have to be afraid of getting and raising one. Aggression usually arises from inadequate training and inadequate knowledge about the breed.
If you adopt an adult from a shelter, especially one that had a rough history, training may be a little bit of a challenge. If this is the case, the behavior is also more unpredictable. If you get a puppy from a reputable breeder and start the training during the puppy stage, it is highly likely that your dog will not exhibit aggression and can be safe around children, elderly, and weak/sick people.
It is best to educate yourself first before deciding whether or not a Pitbull American Bulldog mix is a right breed for you. Consider all the pros and cons, the health issues, the training and activity requirements, and if you have the proper knowledge and enough space to raise one.