Last Updated on
With their impressive size (they can stand up to 2 ½ feet tall at the shoulder and weigh up to 135 pounds), rippling muscles and stoic demeanor — Rottweilers look like the gladiators of the dog world.
After all, it’s believed that they’re the descendants of Roman herding dogs.
However, anyone who’s ever had a Rottie in the family knows when raised properly, they’re goofy, sweet, and love to try to fit on your lap.
Rottweilers are very trainable, you’ll often see them employed as therapy dogs, police dogs, herding dogs, and part-time babysitters.
Because they work so hard for us, they deserve the very best nutrition right from the start. Read on for our guide to the best food for Rottweilers from puppyhood to adulthood!
The Best Food for Rottweiler Puppies and Adults:
|1. Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food||Check Current Price|
|2. Purina Pro Plan Focus Canned Puppy Food||Check Current Price|
|3. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Adult||Check Current Price|
|4. Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken Recipe||Check Current Price|
|5. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Puppy Formula||Check Current Price|
|6. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Puppy Chicken Dinner with Garden Vegetables Canned Dog Food||Check Current Price|
|7. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Formula||Check Current Price|
|8. Purina ONE SmartBlend Large Breed Puppy Formula||Check Current Price|
|9. Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed||Check Current Price|
1. Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food — Best Dog Food for Rottweiler Puppy
Rottie puppies are sweet and roly-poly when they’re little, and it’s tempting to want them to stay puppies forever.
They’ll get big fast, however, and Purina’s Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Puppy formula delivers the nutrition they need to support healthy growth!
This recipe is chock full of vitamins and nutrients for overall healthy development, protein sourced from real chicken for lean muscle development and healthy metabolism, omega fatty acids for brain development, and live probiotics for healthy digestion and immunity.
You know he’s getting the best for his body, he knows he loves dinnertime!
The Purina brand is widely recommended by breeders and vets, and their formulas are manufactured and produced in the US with no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, so you can feel confident about feeding your Rottie puppy Purina Pro Plan.
- Formulated for large breed puppies over 50 pounds at maturity
- Dry kibble texture
- Chicken and rice recipe
- Proteins sourced from chicken is the number one ingredient
- Live probiotics and natural fiber support healthy digestion and immune system
- Omega-rich fish oil for healthy vision development, brain growth, and healthy skin
- Contains essential vitamins and nutrients for healthy growth
- Some Rottie pups didn’t like the taste.
- Some owners were concerned when the formula changed without notice.
- Some pups had gastro problems after eating this formula.
Our pick for the best food for Rottweiler puppies has a canned version! So we’ll include it here because when used as a topper or mixer with the Purina Pro Plan puppy crunchy kibble recipe, he gets a treat and paired nutrition in the same bowl. Plus it’s fun to watch them wiggle with anticipation at dinnertime.
This wet food formula is chicken and rice flavor and not only makes his tummy happy but it’s also packed with the nutrition he needs to grow- quality protein sourced from chicken, DHA from fish oil, and prebiotic fibers are just a few you’ll find on the label.
Trusted to feed show dogs and house dogs for decades, Purina brands are widely recommended by veterinarians and top breeders alike. Their formulas are manufactured in the US without artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- Chicken and rice recipe
- Formulated for puppies under one year old
- Wet texture
- Added calcium helps strengthen growing bones and those sharp little puppy teeth
- Prebiotic fiber promotes healthy digestion and immune support
- Protein sourced from real, quality chicken builds muscle
- Wholesome rice gives him the carbs he needs for hours of playtime
- DHA supports healthy brain growth and development
- This recipe does contain meat by-products
- Some dogs didn’t like the flavor
- Some dogs had an upset tummy after eating this formula
3. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Adult — Best Food for Rottweiler Adults
Your grown-up Rottie needs plenty of nutrition, too, so it’s important to pay attention to the ingredients in his food!
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula delivers an extra punch of nutrition in the form of their patented LifeSource Bits, containing an enhanced “Super 7” blend of essential ingredients packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Think of it as a kind of daily vitamin for your giant couch potato.
The nutrition doesn’t end there! Quality protein sourced from real chicken promotes lean muscle growth, and delicious brown rice supplies him with the healthy carbs he’ll need to keep his energy up during those long days of work and play.
Essential glucosamine and chondroitin are included to help support joint and hip health, a must for larger breed dogs like Rottweilers.
Blue Buffalo formulas are manufactured in the US with quality ingredients, and contain no chicken or poultry by-products, corn, wheat, or soy.
- Formulated for adult dogs
- Chicken and brown rice flavor
- Dry kibble formula
- Essential vitamins, chelated minerals, and antioxidants support robust immune health
- Contains chondroitin and glucosamine to promote healthy joints
- Omegas 3 and 6 fatty acids keep his skin healthy and his coat glossy
- Contains the calcium and phosphorous he needs for strong teeth and bones
- Quality sourced protein from real chicken builds lean muscle
- Some owners said the price increased suddenly for this formula and was no longer a good value.
- Some Rotties didn’t like the flavor.
- Some Rottie parents said the odor was odd
4. Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken Recipe — Runner-Up for Best Dry Dog Food for Rottweilers
Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken Dry Dog Food is suitable for Rottweilers of all ages, which is why it’s one of the best dry dog food for Rottweilers.
From puppyhood to their golden years, this food contains an impressive array of nutrition to fuel that big body and big work ethic!
With wholesome, farm-raised chicken, and quality grains like rice and oatmeal, this food will provide excellent metabolic health so they can build strong, lean muscle and maintain the energy they’ll need to keep up with the pack.
It’s also packed with non-GMO fruits and vegetables like apples, carrots, cranberries, blueberries, beets, and tomatoes, so you know he’ll be getting all of those essential antioxidants he needs to stay healthy.
Along with all of those vitamins and minerals, it contains glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints, taurine for a healthy heart, and prebiotics and probiotics for healthy digestion.
- Suitable for all life stages
- Dry kibble formula
- Comes in chicken and salmon recipes
- Packed with all-natural, non-GMO ingredients for complete and balanced nutrition
- Contains added pre and probiotics to help with healthy digestion and absorption
- Non-GMO ingredients give an abundance of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- Contains taurine for healthy heart maintenance
- Some Rotties didn’t like the flavor.
- Some owners reported it gave their dogs gas that could clear a room.
- Some dogs experienced increased shedding and a duller coat after eating this formula.
All Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formulas contain real meat, wholesome fruits, and veg, and quality whole grains, to fuel your growing baby.
With the added nutrition supplied by their patented LifeSource Bits, you’ve got food for your bestie that’s packed with the goodness he’ll love to eat.
LifeSource Bits contain a “Super 7” package with ingredients that support complete and balanced nutrition that will keep him growing and thriving.
Omega fatty acids deliver the DHA and ARA he’ll need for optimal brain development, healthy skin, and glossy coat.
Quality sources of protein from real chicken and L-Carnitine support lean muscle development, and calcium, phosphorous and other essential vitamins and minerals for strong teeth and bones.
Since Blue Buffalo formulas contain zero corn, wheat, soy, or poultry by-product meals you can feel confident about what you’re putting in his bowl at mealtimes!
- Intended for puppies
- Chicken and brown rice recipe
- Dry kibble texture
- Protein sourced from real chicken and L-Carnitine supports lean muscle growth and a robust metabolism
- Kibble sized specifically for smaller jaws cleans his teeth and gums with every bite
- DHA and ARA contributes to optimal brain and eye development
- Omega fatty acids give him health skin and a gorgeous, glossy coat
- Calcium and phosphorus maintain strong teeth and bones
- Some puppies experienced runny stools after eating this food.
- Some owners reported inconsistencies between bags that caused digestive distress for their Rotties.
- Some Rottie pups protested because they didn’t like the flavor.
This canned counterpart to Blue Buffalo’s dry kibble puppy food contains all the same quality ingredients in a sumptuous wet consistency that he’ll drool over.
Used as a topper with his kibble, or occasionally as a meal on it’s own, this food contains tender chicken, fruits, veg, and added vitamins and minerals like DHA for brain and eye growth.
Like it’s kibble counterpart, this pate-style food contains no meat by-product meals, wheat, corn, soy, or artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- Chicken with garden vegetable recipe
- 12-pack of 12.5 oz cans with a pate consistency
- Formulated for puppies
- Added vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for healthy immune system and overall development
- Real chicken supplies the protein he needs for healthy metabolism and strong muscle growth
- Fruits and vegetables deliver fiber and nutrients
- DHA sourced from omega fatty acids help with eye and brain development
- Some pups didn’t like the recipe.
- It gave some puppies an upset tummy, ruining rugs everywhere.
- Some owners found the food was too dry to mix with kibble.
Large breed puppies need nutrition to fuel their large appetites, and Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Formula delivers.
Enhanced with gut-healthy probiotics and vitamin-packed superfoods, this formula also contains real lamb as the first ingredient to give him the quality protein he needs for lots of energy.
Peas and garbanzo beans supply healthy fiber for digestive support and omega fatty acids provide your baby with a beautiful, shiny coat that’ll earn him plenty of compliments.
Diamond Naturals is a family-owned and operated company that makes all of its scientifically formulated blends here in the US.
Using the highest standards of quality, each blend contains zero artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives and is free of fillers, wheat, and corn.
- Dry texture kibble
- Formulated for large breed puppies
- Lamb and brown rice flavor with fruit and veggies
- Whole grain brown rice provides a wholesome source of carbs for lots of energy
- Top ingredient is pasture-raised lamb for lean muscle growth
- Real fruits and veg deliver lots of vitamins and antioxidants for overall healthy growth
- Omega-3 and -6 for excellent vision, brain development, healthy skin and coat
- Proprietary probiotic blend for healthy digestion and a robust immune system
- Some baby dogs experienced GI problems after eating this food.
- Some puppies weren’t interested in eating it because they didn’t dig the flavor.
With a palpable blend of real chicken and wholesome rice, Purina ONE SmartBlend for large breed puppies will keep your big baby happy at mealtimes.
Throw in naturally sourced glucosamine for healthy joints, a blend of powerful antioxidants for a healthy immune system, and DHA to support his brain development and vision, and you’ve got a well-rounded recipe with everything he needs to grow up into the majestic goofball he’s meant to be.
It also has naturally sourced glucosamine helps him develop healthy joints for lots of running and playing
Because quality ingredients don’t make any difference if his food is packed with ingredients devoid of nutrition, Purina ONE SmartBlend contains no fillers.
You’ll know his happy little belly will be full of all the good things he needs to thrive and none of the bad things he doesn’t.
- Dry kibble formula
- Chicken and rice recipe
- Formulated especially for large breed puppies
- Contains vitamins A and E, and selenium and zinc for a healthy immune system and overall robust health
- Wholesome rice to maintain all that puppy energy but is gentle on his digestion
- High-quality proteins including real chicken build muscles and metabolism
- DHA sourced from omega fatty acids for brain and vision development
- Naturally sourced glucosamine helps him develop healthy joints for lots of running and playing
- Some Rottie parents reported inconsistencies between bags.
- Some puppies didn’t like the flavor.
- Some Rottie puppies had stinky tummy problems after eating this food.
Quality proteins sourced from chicken and egg provide your big baby with the nutrition he needs for lots of energy and strong muscles.
Pack all that delicious chicken and egg flavor in a kibble perfectly sized to help his little jaw chew effectively, and you’ve got a food he’ll scarf down at dinnertime!
To keep his brain and vision development on point, Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy blend contains DHA sourced from natural fish oils.
This blend also contains essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support his entire nutritional needs, including strong immunity, healthy bone growth, a healthy heart, and healthy joint development.
- Intended for large breed puppies 1-24 months old who will grow up to be 51-90 pounds at maturity
- Also suitable for giant breed pups 1-24 months old who will grow up to weigh over 90 pounds at maturity
- Dry kibble formula
- Crunchy kibble cleans his teeth, keeping them free from plaque and tartar
- Chicken and eggs supply the quality proteins he’ll need for lots of games of fetch
- 7 essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for a completely healthy Rottie puppy
- Calcium and other minerals contribute to strong bone development
- DHA sourced from natural fish oils support his developing brain and eyes
- Some doggies had gastro problems after eating this formula.
- Some Rottie puppies just wouldn’t eat it.
- Some puppy parents don’t think the quality of nutrition fit the price.
A Guide For Buying The Best Food For Rottweiler Puppies And Adults
Rottweiler puppies are among the cutest (although all puppies are cute, let’s face it), because of their compact, round little bodies, complete with a tubby belly.
Like with any breed, fueling those adorable puppy bellies and waggy tails with quality grade food is essential, and it merits some scrutiny when reading the labels on your puppy’s food.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
Selecting a Quality Dog Food
Select puppy foods without fillers, meat by-products, or artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
Especially at this tender age, they need dense nutrition to grow, and fillers are often devoid of nutritious value. Mostly, they’re just used to satiate your dog, not to provide him with what he needs.
Artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives are commonly associated with allergies, especially for growing bodies, so avoid them.
Place of Manufacture
Look for where the food is manufactured and where its ingredients are sourced from. If it’s a mystery, do some deeper digging to find out, because not every country has a managed standard of quality.
Countries like China are notorious for an absence of regulations when it comes to what you’re feeding your sweet baby.
Look for foods manufactured and sourced in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and others who keep regulated standards.
Quality sources of protein are essential to good dog food. Eggs, whole deboned chicken, red meats, fish, lamb, and other kinds of whole poultry are preferable.
If it’s not at the top of the list, or at the very least within the first three ingredients, choose something else.
Selecting The Best Food Specifically For Rottie Health Issues
Rottweilers aren’t particularly “extra” as a rule, they’re a pretty low-maintenance, healthy breed. That said, they do require some extra attention when it comes to what you decide to feed them:
Select foods that contain ingredients for optometric support and brain development. You may have noticed most if not all, puppy foods contain ingredients like DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) which is most commonly found in mama’s milk, eggs, and fish. DHA is an omega 3 fatty acid, so it does double duty to provide skin health as well.
Rottweilers are prone to eye problems such as glaucoma and cataracts, so ingredients rich in nutrients like phytonutrients, carotenoids, and flavonoids. Also, look for the minerals selenium and zinc to support your baby’s eye health.
Like most other large and giant breed dogs, Rotties are very susceptible to joint problems. Dysplasia of the hips and elbows is painful and you can help avoid some of that by getting them started out early with a diet rich in ingredients that provide support for joint mobility and development.
Heart-healthy foods are essential for Rotties, as they may develop heart problems like DCM, or Dilated Cardiomyopathy. DCM is a heart disease that causes thinning and dilation in the heart’s walls.
Many times, the disease isn’t obviously detectable through your dog’s behavior, but it’s quite serious.
Treatment is available, but not guaranteed to reverse or remedy the problem, which is why supporting your Rottweiler’s heart health with the right nutrition from the beginning is critical.
Look for L-carnitine, taurine, antioxidants, and fatty acids on your dog food labels.
Recommended Health Tests
The American Rottweiler Breed Club recommends these standard health tests for your Rottweiler for the early detection of common health problems:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Cardiac Exam
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
How Much Should I Feed My Rottweiler Puppy?
We strongly recommend consulting your veterinarian and/or breeder when developing a nutritional plan for your pure-bred Rottie puppy.
He or she can tell you more about your individual puppy’s needs when it comes to what they should be eating.
That said, here’s a loose guide to how much, and how often, you should feed your Rottweiler from puppy to adulthood:
- Rottweiler puppies 3–10 pounds — Feed three times a day, ¾ –1 ¾ cups
- Rottweiler puppies 10–20 pounds — Feed three times a day, 1 ¾ cups– 3 cups
- Rottweiler puppies/adults 20–40 pounds — Feed three times a day, 3–5 ¼ cups
- Rottweiler puppies/adults 40–60 pounds — Feed 2 or three times a day, 5 ¼– 7 cups
- Rottweiler adults 60–80 pounds — Feed 2 or three times a day, 7– 8 ⅔ cups
For Rotties over 80 pounds, feed ⅓ cups for every +10 pounds. For instance, if your Rottweiler weighs 90 pounds he should be eating 2 or 3 times a day, 8 ⅔–9 cups.
A Little More On Feeding Your Rottweiler Puppy (And Beyond)
When you bring home your little bundle of joy, you should start him out on the same food he was eating before he came to live with you.
Hopefully, he was already eating a puppy food for large breed dogs, but if he wasn’t and you decide you’d like to transition him, do so just a little bit at a time. Introducing new food all at once can cause him a lot of bellyaches.
Once you get him established with something that agrees with his sensitive puppy belly, and he likes to eat, be sure to keep a regular schedule.
First, Rottie puppies need structure to learn how to potty train (just like human puppies). They’re pretty smart, so it won’t take long for them to learn, but regulating feeding times helps both of you to keep up with bathroom breaks.
Also, Rottweilers can lean toward obesity (again, just like humans) so letting them eat whatever they want whenever they want will promote that.
Rottweilers are highly trainable, so by all means, use treats for training purposes and the occasional “just because I love you”, but make sure to count their calories.
A Final Word
Sadly, Rottweilers have gotten such a bad rep that some insurance companies won’t even cover Rottweiler owners, and they’re not even allowed in some municipalities.
This is a shame because these guys have a lot of love to give. They are loyal guard dogs, because it’s their job, but the sweet Rottweiler is happy to bend like putty in a home with humans that will train and nurture them to be social creatures.
We love our Rotties, so let’s feed them the best. We recommend Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Large Breed Formula to provide them with the complete nutrition they need to live well, be happy, and love us back.