Have you ever heard about inflammatory bowel disease or IBD in dogs? It is a very stressful condition that causes vomiting and diarrhea, and if left untreated can lead to more serious gastrointestinal diseases and intestinal cancer.
There are a number of things that you can do. In addition to seeking help from your vet, shifting to the right food could also be a great solution, but which one is the best?
We selected the leading dog food options for IBD and reviewed them. So, keep reading to pinpoint the best dog food for inflammatory bowel disease.
Here Are The Best Dog Foods For Inflammatory Bowel Disease:
|1. Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe|
|Check Current Price|
|2. I and Love and You Nude Super Food Dry Dog Food||Check Current Price|
|3. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin||Check Current Price|
|4. Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food||Check Current Price|
|5. Purina Pro Plan Puppy Sensitive Skin & Stomach Food||Check Current Price|
|6. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Dry Dog Food||Check Current Price|
1. Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe — Best Dog Food for IBD
This Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe dog food is our favorite because it is carefully formulated with ingredients to support the health of your dog’s digestive system.
To address the inflammatory bowel disease and other stomach disorders in dogs, Instinct’s nutritionists and researchers made this food with no grains or gluten.
The main ingredient used to prepare this food is lamb meal and lamb, which are rich in essential amino acids that are needed to promote healthy cell development in all parts of the body including the spine and anal muscles.
The effect will be a progressive improvement of the anal reflexes and restoration of anal sacks.
In addition to the easy-to-digest and high protein content, the food is also rich in essential vitamins and minerals, such as calcium sodium selenite, which your dog needs for a strong immune system.
Another notable nutrient in the food is folic acid that promotes the health of the spinal cord, helping to promote better control over the bowel.
- Proteins: 24% (minimum)
- Fat: 14.5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 4% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (Maximum)
- Omega-6 fatty acids: 3.7% (minimum)
- Formulated with grass-fed lamb for high-quality amino acids
- Contains only one animal protein and one vegetable for dogs with sensitive digestive systems
- Enriched with omega fatty acids and vitamins needed for a strong immune system
- Free from grain, beef, fish, corn or artificial preservatives
2. I and Love and You Nude Super Food Dry Dog Food
If you are wondering about the best food to help your dog that has just been diagnosed with bowel incontinence, one of the best solutions is this Nude Super Food Poultry Palooza Grain-Free Dry Dog Food.
The food was prepared by experts at I and Love and You after extensive study of gastrointestinal disorders. Now the food has become very popular with pet owners.
The primary ingredients used to prepare this food include the whole, deboned meat plus real veggies and fruits that your doggie needs to counter gastrointestinal disorders.
Furthermore, the food is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that work with Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and essential vitamins for a healthy digestive and immune system.
Another thing that makes this food outstanding is the enrichment with HAPPY TUMMEEZ™ PLUS, digestive enzymes, prebiotics, and probiotics.
By promoting a healthy digestive system in your four-legged friend, the severity of stomach problems, including bowel incontinence, goes down.
- Proteins: 34% (minimum)
- Fat: 15% (minimum)
- Fiber: 5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (maximum)
- Omega-6 fatty acids: 2% (minimum)
- Formulated with a combination of quality ingredients for better nutrition and freshness
- Rich in prebiotics and probiotics for a healthy digestive environment
- Formulated with high-quality proteins that are rich in essential amino acids
- Contains superfoods such as turmeric and flaxseed
- Good for dogs of all ages
3. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin
Coming next on our list is this Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin from Hill’s Science, a meal prepared with the highest-quality ingredients.
The ingredients are clinically approved, and you can trust the food to give your dog the relief it needs from bowel incontinence and other stomach-related disorders.
The primary ingredient used to prepare this food is chicken, which helps to supply all the essential amino acids for healthy cell development.
Every bite of this food is also rich in essential vitamins and omega fatty acids that promote whole-body health, including better bowel control.
When introduced early enough, this food might be your best option in stopping bowel incontinence right on its tracks.
- Proteins: 21% (minimum)
- Fat: 12% (minimum)
- Fiber: 4% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (maximum)
- Omega-6 fatty acids: 3% (minimum)
- Contains prebiotic fiber for better health of your dog’s digestive system
- Highly digestible and easy to absorb ingredients
- Made with natural ingredients that help to quench your dog’s craving
- Enriched with vitamins that help to promote a healthy immune system
- Has loads of taurine for healthy eyesight and brain cell development
- Recommended by vets for addressing stomach disorders
- Not suitable for young pups
4. Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food
Iams has cut a name for its commitment to formulating high-quality pet foods, such as this Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food.
The food is prepared with well-balanced nutrients that make it a perfect pick for adult dogs with problems such as sensitive stomach and inflammatory bowel disease.
The first ingredient used on the food is chicken, which helps to supply the bulk of the proteins that your dog needs.
In addition to the high-quality proteins, the food also contains whole grain corn, chicken fat, and essential minerals that your canine friend needs for a healthy digestive system.
Other ingredients that make this food a perfect option for IBD include high levels of antioxidants, vitamins, and essential minerals.
Furthermore, the food is free from artificial flavors or preservatives. It is especially good if the inflammatory bowel disease is in the early stages.
- Proteins: 25% (minimum)
- Fat: 14 (minimum)
- Fiber: 4% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (maximum)
- Selenium: 0.35 mg/kg (minimum)
- Omega-6 fatty acids: 2.05% (minimum)
- Prepared with high-quality ingredients for dogs with stomach issues
- Contains fibers and prebiotics that help to support a healthy digestive system
- The first ingredient is real chicken that supplies bulk of the proteins that your dog needs
- Contains healthy omega fatty acids and vitamins that your dog needs for strong immune system
- Formulated carefully for adult dogs over 12-month old
- May result in smelly poop
5. Purina Pro Plan Puppy Sensitive Skin & Stomach Food
Most of the foods that we have reviewed in this list are mainly for adult dogs above one year. However, if you have a puppy with inflammatory bowel disease, it is advisable to consider this Purina Pro Plan Puppy Sensitive Skin & Stomach Food.
It is formulated with salmon as the first ingredient and enriched with rice, which is gentle on sensitive digestive systems. The taste is also nice, and your pups will love it.
One thing that makes this food outstanding is that every ingredient comes with a specific nutritional and functional purpose.
The high level of probiotics, fibers, and antioxidants help to improve the environment of the gut and restore its normal functioning.
Furthermore, antioxidants work with vitamins to strengthen the immune system, helping your four-legged friend to fight the root causes of bowel incontinence.
- Proteins: 28% (minimum)
- Fat: 18% (minimum)
- Fiber: 3% (maximum)
- Moisture: 12% (maximum)
- Docosahexanoic Acid: 0.1% (minimum)
- Prepared with salmon as the primary ingredients
- Contains high-quality proteins, carbs, and vitamins that are easy on the dog’s digestive system
- Loaded with omega fatty acids and vitamins for a healthy immune system of your dog
- DHA from fish oil makes the food great for brain and spine development
- Contains no artificial flavors or food colors
- Might not work if your dog does not love taking water
6. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Dry Dog Food
The last food for a pooch with inflammatory bowel disease to make our list is this Wholesome Essentials Adult Dog Food.
Do not be deceived by its listing at the bottom of this list because it is prepared with awesome ingredients, and it is also a popular recommendation by vets and nutritionists for doggies suffering from inflammatory bowel disease and other gastrointestinal disorders.
Nutro used New Zealand venison meal as the primary ingredient, alongside others such as whole-brown rice, whole-grain oatmeal, and chicken fat for quality protein and energy supply.
Not only are these ingredients rich in amino acids, but they are also easy to digest, and absorb into your pooches system.
Other ingredients used to enrich the food include high fiber content, linoleic acid, zinc, and selenium, which go a long way in soothing the inflamed gastrointestinal system.
- Proteins: 22% (minimum)
- Fat: 14% (minimum)
- Fiber: 3.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (maximum)
- Vitamin E: 60 IU/kg (minimum)
- Formulated with high-quality proteins from New Zealand venison
- Limited ingredients that make the food a great option for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Enriched with high levels of omega fatty acids, and vitamins
- Fit for dogs of all stages
- Rich in fibers that help to make digestion and absorption of nutrients pretty easy
- Free from corn, soy or wheat
To be able to pick the best pooch food for inflammatory bowel disease, it is important to start by understanding the problem. So, how well do you understand the condition? Let us take a closer look.
What Is Inflammatory Bowel Disease Or IBD?
Having this disease means there is an abnormally high number of inflammatory cells in the lining of the intestines.
Have your pooch checked by a vet if you observe the persistence of the following symptoms of IBD:
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
What To Look For When Selecting The Best Dog Food For Inflammatory Bowel Disease
The cause of the IBD may be difficult to determine, and at times you may never know for sure, so a “one-size-fits-all” approach would not work when looking for the best food to address the issue.
Instead, consider the following common recommendations to guide you:
The rule of the thumb is to go for food with limited additives, and if you can avoid them, the better.
Highly Digestible And Low Residue Diets
Because your dog’s gastrointestinal system is already inflamed, you should not overload it with tough ingredients.
Fibers And Probiotics
Since your dog’s gastrointestinal system is inflamed, look for foods prepared with probiotics and fibers, which help to promote the right environment in the gut.
Vitamins And Essential Minerals
Like other diseases, one of the best ways to fight inflammatory bowel disease is having a strong immune system. So, go for foods that are enriched with vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, and taurine.
The inflammatory bowel disease is stressful to both the dog and its owner, but the good thing is that you can still enjoy the love of your pet by using the right diet.
The best IBD dog food options that we have reviewed above are easy to digest, reducing the strain on the already challenged gastrointestinal system.
The foods are also rich in useful ingredients that help promote good health of the digestive system and strengthen the dog’s immune system.
Although we stand with the six dog food for inflammatory bowel disease that we reviewed above (they are awesome, really awesome), the Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe was the best of them all.
It has high-quality ingredients that are easy-to-digest and further improve the gastrointestinal health of your pooch.